Vegan Lentil Dahl


I adapted the following recipe from one I found on VegWeb. The original included onions, vegan butter, and creamed coconut. I didn't have any onions (though they would have been great in this), I didn't want to use oil, and I decided to use raw organic coconut butter. It had a great sweet & salty Indian flavor and thick texture.

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/3 cup organic yellow/red lentils 
  • 1 garlic clove, minced     
  • 1 teaspoon salt     
  • 1 teaspoon organic turmeric     
  • 1 teaspoon organic curry powder
  • 3 cups water     
  • optional: 1 tablespoon organic coconut butter - I used Artisana
  • pepper
  • optional: organic brown rice
Preparation:
  1. Optional: soak the lentils; but you must rinse them before use.
  2. In a pan, add lentils, garlic, salt, turmeric, and curry powder; stir for 2 to 3 minutes.
  3. Add the water, bring to the boil, and simmer gently for 25 - 30mins, until the lentils are tender.
  4. Optional: add the coconut butter and stir over the heat until dissolved.
  5. Remove from heat and sprinkle with pepper to taste
You can put this over organic brown rice, or enjoy on it's own. I even liked it the next day after heating it up on the stove.

1 comment: