Video: Vegan "Tuna" Salad Using Chickpeas (Garbanzo Beans)


In a video I did on Easy, Cheap Vegan Meals I mentioned Chickpea "Tuna" Salad, which costs about $1.50 to make per serving. A reader named Lindsay asked if I could share the recipe, so I thought I might as well do a video too!




Ingredients:
  • Chickpeas/Garbanzo Beans (freshly made or in a BPA-free can) - 1 cup
  • Vegan mayonaise (try Vegenaise or Mindful Mayo, both available soy-free) - 2 tbsp
  • Celery - 1 stalk
  • Pickles or Relish - to taste
  • Dulse Flakes - to taste
  • Optional: fresh parsley, lemon, apple cider vinegar, onion, soy sauce/Coconut Aminos, nutritional yeast, and mustard
Directions:
  • Blend or mash it all together (that's really all you have to do!)
You can also use tempeh instead of chickpeas - check out my video recipe from Alicia Silverstone's The Kind Diet (yep, Alicia posted this on her website!)

4 comments:

  1. In my pre-vegan days I would always order tuna sandwiches and melts at restaurants. This vegan alternative really hits the spot for me these days. I use a similar recipe, and is tastes surprisingly like tuna! However, I prefer it without dulse flakes and find that instead dried dill is absolutely delicious in it. Love to make tuna melts with this as well using tomato slices, ezekial bread and cheddar daiya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this recipe right now with just the basic vegenaise, mustard, relish, celery, salt, and pepper. As a college student on a budget, I shall be making this more often!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to try making this - for some reason I was craving tuna (ok so people at work were eating it today) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete